Monday, May 31, 2010

R.E.C.Y.C.L.E

Assalamualaikum...

Alhamdulillah, I've found a recycling center just outside of Uda. I know recycling bins are around but unfortunately, there are still some people who treat them as rubbish bins and toss in their trash in with the recyclable goods. This makes the recycling procedure more lengthy and more resources have to be used up. More time is spent in separating and sorting the items and more labor is needed to clean and process them.

So, I'm taking my recyclable goods straight to the center. This way, i can help to reduce the load that is contaminated by the rubbish and I am certain that my 'throw-aways' will have a second life as another product.

Now that i think about, sometimes the weirdest things make me happy. I spent three hours at a bank the other day, opening another current account as well as a fixed savings account and signed up for two SSP's (Sijil Simpanan Premium). After three long hours of form filling, going things over with the financial adviser, asking questions and queuing, i walked out with a smile as if I've made a home run =) Even though my convent teammates weren't there to high-five me but i felt good about myself, knowing that I'm investing my money and putting it to good use.

I felt equally happy today. It took a while to find the recycling factory but it was worth it. There were piles of cardboard stacked to the ceiling, shredded paper compacted into cubes and neatly lined, there was a mountain of cans in one corner, bags of recycled wire, bits and bobs of electrical machines, a heap of of old screws, bolts and nuts, a mound of printers, a trailer filled with plastic bags, a big box full of discarded CD's, a corner of old iron rods and scrap metal and a section for other plastic products like old mobile phone covers and damaged plastic casings.
I was in awe 0.0 I thought to myself, "This is soooo COOL!". I mean, we've all seen images of recycling centers on TV and we have a rough idea of what the process is like, but to see it in action was amazing (to me at least, hehe).

After unloading my things, a worker separated everything, weighed it and gave me a receipt to cash in at the counter. I'm pleased enough to know that i can help in saving the environment, but getting paid to do so, i was like "Where my money at? Give me those bills lady!", haha. Those 'surat khabar lama' lorries tu, i da biasa da, but they only collect newspapers and plastic bottles. The stuff they don't take in, i used to throw in the bin guiltily. I know most of the stuff have potential to be reused or recycled tapi nak buat macam mana, tak kan nak simpan je, so to the trash heap it went. BUT NOW I CAN....




AND..


recycle, recycle, recycle, recycle more, more and MORE and visit the recycling center MORE!!! Me happy >_< ngeee..



Assalamualaikum...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails