Friday, March 11, 2011

Talent is a gift, but character is a choice..

Assalaamualaikum...


Well, for those who know my college life and experience, you should know how I've slowly given up on my education and have had my motivation sucked out of me. 


Seriously, anything you can think of that can go wrong in an institution, has gone wrong in my college; politics, language barrier, favoritism, racism, class cancellation, unqualified 'lecturers' who don't know NADA about the subject (eg: part time businessman hired, ex-students who has just graduated who didn't even major in my course and didn't ace in their course either ending up as my lecturers, etc), lack of educational resources, material and infrastructure (eg: our library is the size of 4 bookshelves, there's only 1 computer for about 1000+ students use, etc), money-minded staff, sexual harassment, leak of private and confidential information, incomplete records of past payments and transactions, and banyak lagi. 


Every time any of these incidences would occur, bit by bit I became demoralized. And every time I tried to raise these urgent issues to the authorities, they would feed me their excuses. I couldn't bare facing the people in college because I detested what they stood for, their actions and lack of work ethic. I haven't been to college for probably about three months and have left my studies in the dust. 


I channeled my attention to managing the family business, nursing several cats and kittens, traveled hundreds of kilometers to see family  and relatives in need of moral support, spent more time at the orphanage, caught up with friends, invested more 'ka-ching' in the banks (I love banking! Can't wait to get the returns XD InsyaAllah), did other charity work, did errands and I did have my laze moments and just watched Discovery for hours.


Of course, other people's actions and decisions affects our lives and the way we feel. But the point is, I chose how much it got to me. I let them bury me deeper when I was already down. I let them play with my emotions.



We have no control over a lot of things in life. We don't get to choose our parents. We don't select the location or circumstances of our upbringing. We don't get to control other people's actions. We don't get to pick our talents or IQ.

But we do get to choose our character. In fact, we create it every time we make choices - to bend the truth or stand under the weight of it, to take the easy money or earn your dimes, to bail out or dig out of a hard situation.

As we live our lives and make choices today, we are continuing to create our character.


Your character determines who you are.

Who you are determines what you see.

What you see determines what you do.



In times of adversity, challenges and the bad weather of life, what are you going to choose? Are you going to let circumstances chip at your character?


I certainly have let others affect me more than they should. And I'm not going to let them do that anymore.


Now, I choose....



Well, I dang well gonna try! Gotta keep my self motivated!


Assalamualaikum..

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails